Thank you for your interest in the SubSkills Training Course! This course is a review of everything you’ll need to know to become a stellar substitute teacher, from legal aspects of the job to how to handle confrontational behavior from students.
SubSkills Print Training Course – Option B
The Substitute Teacher Handbook gives you everything from the SubSkills Online Training Course—but in a print version. It does not include the online tutorials or videos, but it does include the Substitute Teacher Handbook with access to all the online activities, the SubAssessment and the SubDiploma.
This is similar to our online SubSkills Online Training Course—but in an actual printed handbook called “Substitute Teacher Handbook.”
The SubSkills print version course has been designed for those who do not have continual access to a computer, or who prefer to study the course materials in print. Besides, if you are like a lot of teaching professionals, you love to mark things up.
You will be offered a job after completing this SubSkills course. You have nothing to lose.
“Money-back guarantee: If you complete our SubSkills course (either online or in print) and you earn your STEDI SubDiploma, and you meet your district’s hiring requirements—and are still not offered a job—we will refund 100% of your tuition.”
- Get the textbook version of SubSkills. We send it to you via USPS Priority Mail.
- Start it.
- Complete it at your own pace. It takes 8 to 10 hours to complete. We recommend you spend 30 to 60 minutes per training session.
- After you complete the course, take the SubAssessment test. You have four attempts to get an 85 or higher. You will take the SubAssessment online and receive a score.
- After you pass, you will earn your SubDiploma.
- Give this diploma to your district.
- Get offered a job.
- Substitute Teacher Handbook. 10th Edition: Classroom Management, Teaching Strategies, The Professional Substitute Teacher, Special Education, Orientation and Legal Issues
- Fill-in activities you can copy and print.
- SubAssessmentTM : an online test to determine your understanding of the skills presented in the SubSkills Online Training Course. A passing grade is 85 or higher.
- SubDiplomaTM : a printable course-completion certificate in PDF format. When you pass the SubAssessment and earn your SubDiploma, make sure to add it to your resume and let your school district know of your academic accomplishment.
- SubOrientation video
- Online videos and tutorials
SKILL 2: The ability to maintain a high rate of positive interactions
SKILL 3: The ability to teach expectations
SKILL 4: The ability to respond non-coercively to consequential behavior
SKILL 5: The ability avoid becoming trapped
– Common Sense Trap
– Questioning Trap
– Sarcasm Trap
– Despair and Pleading Trap
– Threat Trap
– Physical and Verbal Force Trap
– KWL Chart
– Concept Mapping
– Bloom’s taxonomy for higher level thinking
– Jigsaw learning method
– Invent a game
– Exit slips
– Prior to entering the classroom
– In the classroom before school
– Throughout the day
– At the end of the day
– Working with paraprofessionals
– Being familiar with special education laws and terms
– Maintaining instructional consistency
– Adapting lessons and activities
– knowing students and meeting all their needs
– First aid and safety
– Legal aspects of the job
– Child abuse reporting
– Sexual harassment
– Being sensitive to diversity
– Out-of-classroom activities
– Five-minute fillers
– Early finishers
– Short activities