Here is a quick activity idea for you to use when you have a few minutes left in a school day. Tell the students that we are going to consider what our society would be like if certain things had never happened.
After students write down their responses or discuss them with another student, have a few share their ideas with the class.
Choose any of the following scenarios to consider or come up with your own:
- How would the world be different today if the colonists had not won the Revolutionary War and the new country had remained under British rule?
- How would the world be different if the television had never been invented?
- How would our society be different if the airplane had never been invented?
- How would your life be different if you were born in another state?
- How would your life be different if you were born in a developing country?
We hope you enjoy this activity! Adapt it to fit your needs.
For more ideas for activities, check out the Substitute Teacher Handbook.